My Favorite Afternoon Pick-Me-Up
The afternoon slump. More coffee, maybe something sweet? The instant gratification that comes from that temporary caffeine buzz or sugar rush. I make the opposite error of eating nothing between meals and come dinner time, hangry is an understatement. So I found this recipe takes the edge off, packs in a bunch of good stuff (it is flu season after all), great for skin and is delicious.
- Cucumber — hydrates, detoxifies, calms inflammation in the body, and contains the beauty mineral silica which is amazing for skin.
- Coconut Water — is hydrating to the body and contains potassium.
- Pineapple — for natural sweetness, it contains good dietary fiber as well as vitamins.
- Spinach — contains zinc which is great for keeping skin clear, as well as Vitamins A, K, and C, calcium and iron.
- Spirulina — is a natural algae, with numerous benfits. It is high in protein, contains B-vitamins, iron, calcium, detoxes metals in the body and provides a boost of energy. It is one of the most nutrient dense ingredients available.
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 tsp spirulina powder
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of coconut water, depending how thick or thin you like
1. Start with cucumber, pineapple, spirulina, top with spinach and coconut water. Blend together.